Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Frugal Dinner: Black Bean Burritos!


One of the easiest and economical meals you can prepare for a large family is beans and rice. But that can get real old real quick so you have got to be creative and find ways to spice it up so the family doesn't suspect that their mainstay diet is just beans and rice. A good way to prepare this all time go to is to make burritos. I mean come on who doesn't like a burrito. They have restaurants nowadays that will try and charge you anywhere between $5 and $8 for a burrito. I think that is shear madness since I know the low cost of the ingredients. But back to what I did for burrito night at our house. To make things a little different instead of just plain brown or white rice we decided to go with the  Saffron/ Yellow Rice. It is full of flavor and everyone loves it. We of course went with the traditional black beans which I cook a big batch in the crock-pot at the top of the week so I just used a few cup fulls with some seasonings and a little onion. We had the normal burrito toppings of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, etc.. And even fried up some sweet plantain and rolled that up as well. It was very tasty and didn't break the bank to feed my family of six. There were some leftovers as well and we used those over tortilla chips the next day for a quick fix nacho plate for lunch.


I fried the ripe sweet plaintain in a pan of shallow coconut oil. 

I know there are a lot of recipes out their for the Saffron/ Yellow rice but  we have always enjoyed this brand here. Its a time saver for sure. 

I added some chopped onion, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the beans.

We warm the tortillas in the skillet with a dash of oil. This night we were blessed enough to have organic grape tomatoes and organic romaine lettuce with our toppings. The Salsa was just the Walmart Great Value store brand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment